Friday, January 14, 2011

Changing Flathead bait choices throughout the year

Something that has made me a more sucessful flathead fisherman is change my bait choices throughout the year. At the begining of the year I like to use a more slender bait such as a sucker, shad or even a small bass. I also have figured out that what ever bait is running in the spring is a good go to bait, when the white bass are on the run in the spring that is one of my most succesful baits! During the spawn i like to use Bullheads and gills, they naturally invade a flatheads nest to eat the eggs and by far is my best baits in the summer, I also use what is called a green eared sunfish, They look alot like a gill but with larger mouths and green streaks up the side of there mouth and head, these baits are very agressive and easy to keep alive in the heat of the summer, in the tank and on the hook. Then as the water temp starts dropping in the Fall i start to go back to the slender baits but also use some bass and bullheads also. I also use some cut shad throughout the year but this past year was terrible dealing with the turtles and couldnt keep a cut bait in the water. The type of suckers i have the most luck on is the northern hog nosed suckers. I also believe in the saying "BIG BAIT BIG FISH" I always run at least one monster bait while im fishing and it might set out all nite without a run or it might be the bite to make your year or Lifetime! Good luck to all this year and cant wait t set into the first flat of the year!......smooth

1 comment: