Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Braid for the Cold water Channelcat bite

I wrote an article on catching channelcats in the winter a month or so ago and i suggested using light mono for catching them.  This is the way ive always done it in the past.  I have to say after this weeks fishing trip with Catfishrollo i am sold on using braid when the water is real cold and the bite is real light.  We only caught two fish but the sensitivity of the braid was unreal compared to the 14# monofilament i was using.  The bite was so extremely light i could barely feel it in the mono and at times you couldnt even visually see it in the rod tip.  Ive came to the conclusion that i will be switching to the 50# power pro braid for this type of fishing.  I appreciate being able to get out and fish with other avid catfisherman and feel greatful for the little tip i learned this last trip. I honestly believe you learn something every trip regardless if you are successful or not........smooth

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kip, I'm going to be trying out some braid this year. Hope it works better than the last time I used it years ago. Later, Chuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was real impressed with the sensitivity on the cold water bite. Ill still be using mono throughout the year for blues and Flats.

      Delete